Temporary jobs for foreigners in Canada

Temporary jobs for foreigners in Canada

If you thought temporary work in Canada was just summertime farm work, you were wrong.

It should be noted that under this program, a Canadian employer may not just hire you temporarily, but also make you a job offer to apply for permanent residency under the federal immigration program through the Express Entry system. But you have to work for at least one year on a work visa to qualify.

The program is divided into several threads:

Agricultural stream

Under this stream, Canadian employers can hire foreign workers for a maximum work period of up to 2 years when they cannot find a suitable Canadian or resident.

The temporary foreign worker can be from any country and the products produced must be on the National Goods List. The employer's activities must be directly related to agriculture, i.e:

  • work duties must be performed within the boundaries of the farm, nursery, or greenhouse, and must include operation of farm equipment, OR
  • The care, breeding, or other handling of animals, other than fish, for the purpose of obtaining raw animal products for the market, OR
  • collection, processing and other manipulations performed with plants for their subsequent sale.

This stream requires managers in agriculture, managers in horticulture, farmers in livestock and crop production, landscapers, nursery and greenhouse workers, and harvesting equipment workers. For employment, you must find an employer and get a labor market impact assessment (LMIA) and then get a work permit. The requirements for experience, education and knowledge of English or French depend on the specific profession.

There is also a separate program for seasonal agricultural workers (SWAP), but it applies only to Mexican and Caribbean citizens.

Streaming for nannies and caregivers

Candidates in this stream are called upon to provide in-home care for children, the elderly (over 65), and people with high medical needs (disabilities or chronic illnesses). Minimum employment is 30 hours per week. They can be nannies, caregivers, nurses, and home care workers. Typically, the job involves full-time work — 40-44 hours per week.

To get a job, you need at least one year of experience as a nanny or caregiver, at least a high school education, and enough English or French to communicate on a daily basis. You will also need a Labor Market Impact Assessment (LMIA), which is processed and paid for by the employer, and a work permit.

Usually nannies and caregivers are hired for 2 years and are paid an average of $12 Canadian dollars per hour. After two years as a nanny or caregiver, you can apply for permanent residency.

Flow for scholar-teachers

Applicants must have completed at least one graduate school and have experience teaching at the university as well as practicing research. Academic advisors and examiners, graduate assistants, and self-funded researchers do not need a work permit at all. Others, on the other hand, need a permit but are not required to complete a Labor Market Impact Assessment (LMIA). They are postdoctoral fellows, research award recipients, distinguished people such as leaders in various fields of science, and guest lecturers.

Global Talent Stream

The Global Talent Stream program is designed to attract highly skilled foreign talent to innovative firms in Canada. Applications for work permits through Global Talent Stream are processed through a fast-track procedure — on average within 10 business days.

Work Visa to Canada: Can I bring my children with me?

If you are going to work in Canada and want to take your children with you to receive benefits, we recommend reading our article →

  • #immigration to Canada
  • #work visa to Canada
  • #temporary job in Canada
  • #getting permanent residency in Canada
  • #job offer in Canada
  • #jobs in agriculture in Canada
  • #jobs for nannies and caregivers in Canada
  • #global talent stream
  • #academics in Canada
  • #teaching jobs in Canada