Immigration pilots for home child care providers and home support workers

Immigration pilots for home child care providers  and home support workers

Nannies and caregivers can immigrate to Canada with their family. The requirements and conditions of the programs are very simple and attractive.

Since 2019 there are two pilots called Home Child Care Provider Pilot (for nannies) and Home Support Worker Pilot (for caregivers).


To apply for the immigration pilots, the candidate must meet the following requirements:

  • get a full-time job offer (at least 30 hours per week) from a Canadian employer as a nanny (excluding foster parents) or caregiver (excluding housekeepers) outside the province of Quebec, and work for 2 years;
  • be able to do the job offered: when reviewing your application, the immigration officer will use any past experience or training you have to decide if you can do the job;
  • have proficiency in English or French at level 5 on the Canadian scale CLB;
  • have at least one year of post-secondary education.


Immigration programs for nannies and caregivers have a number of advantages.

— Open work permits that are tied to a specialty and not tied to an employer. This means that nannies and caregivers are able to change employers.

— Open work permits for spouses/partners and study permits for children, that allows families of nannies and caregivers to come to Canada with them.

— A clear transition from temporary residence to permanent residence to ensure that once the nanny/caregiver meets the requirements of the program, they can quickly obtain Canadian permanent residency.

— As nanny/caregiver receives an open work permit tied to their specialty, the employer will not have to complete a labor market impact assessment (LMIA) to hire a foreign worker. This will greatly simplify the immigration process.

How programs work

A two-step process is used.

First, the candidate applies for permanent residency and a work or study permit for themselves and their family at the same time. Once the applications are submitted, the candidate receives a work permit in order to gain the experience required to become a permanent resident of Canada (2 years). The spouse/partner and children of the nanny/caregiver receive open work or study permits.

Once the nanny/caregiver has two years of Canadian work experience, they must notify Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). The department will complete its review of the permanent residence application and make a decision.

For more information on applying for Home Child Care Provider and Home Support Worker Pilots, see our article.

Immigration plan

Each program will allow a maximum of 2,750 principal applicants to immigrate (this number does not include family members). A total of 5,500 principal applicants per year for the two programs. Spouses and children will not be counted in determining the application limit.

  • #immigration to Canada
  • #immigration to Canada for nannies and caregivers
  • #Caring for Children Program Canada
  • #Caring for People with High Medical Needs Program Canada
  • #Live-in Caregiver Program Canada
  • #nanny jobs in Canada
  • #caregiver jobs in Canada
  • #Home Child Care Provider Pilot
  • #Home Support Worker Pilot
  • #new programs for nannies and caregivers in Canada
  • #jobs in Canada
  • #temporary jobs in Canada
  • #temporary nanny jobs in Canada
  • #immigration to Canada as a family
  • #immigration programs in Canada
  • #work permit in Canada
  • #Interim Pathway for Caregivers
  • #home child care provider Canada
  • #home support worker Canada
  • #chances of immigrating to Canada
  • #how to move to Canada