Immigrating to Canada through education. Studying in Canada

Immigrating to Canada through education. Studying in Canada

If you have a university degree in your home country, you can study at a Canadian university in 1-3 years and then stay in the country and obtain a Canadian passport after 3 years.

Want to change your life for the better? Move to Canada! You do not have to wait for a long and time-consuming federal or provincial immigration process. Besides, not everyone has enough points for its successful passing. There is a way out — study in Canada and further employment for high-paying job.

General requirements for admission to a Canadian college or university

If you have a high school diploma or a Bachelor's, Specialist or Master's degree, you can apply for admission to a college (this is also a university) or university in Canada. Generally, you do not have to take an exam. You may be 20 or 40 years old. In Canada, it is accepted to study at any age.

Language test for admission to a Canadian college

For admission, you need to have the results of a language test: IELTS or TOEFL in English or TCF in French. Language requirements vary, but usually the test result should be at least IELTS 6.0. However, the language tests should not frighten you. There are plenty of courses that prepare you to successfully pass the exam, both in Ukraine or Russia and in Canada itself. An intensive course may include three types of lessons per day: General English, IELTS Preparation and Pathway (preparation for Canadian college or university). We cooperate with several Canadian language schools and have completed language courses there ourselves.

Getting into a Canadian university without taking IELTS

Moreover, you can find language centers at the colleges themselves, which give the opportunity to enter the university without passing TOEFL or IELTS. The cost of a 2-month language course is about 2800 CAD (Canadian dollars) or 2200 USD (U.S. dollars).

Once you have found the right institution for you, apply for the program you have chosen and receive a confirmation letter from the college or university in Canada. Then apply for a temporary resident visa and apply for a study permit. You can do this online or at your country's visa centre. Finally, get a medical check-up at one of the specialist centres.

After 1-3 years of study at a Canadian university, you will receive a globally recognized Bachelor's, Master's, or PhD certificate or diploma.

There are three levels of post-secondary education in Canada:

  • Bachelor's degree: certificate (1 year of college) or diploma (2-3 years of college) or Bachelor's degree (3-4 years of university)
  • Higher education: Master's degree (1 to 3 years at a university or 1.5 to 2 years in Quebec)
  • Postgraduate education: Doctoral degree (3 years or more at university)

Academic Credits in Canada

In Canada, students arrange their own study schedules by choosing their own compulsory and elective courses. At most universities and colleges in Canada, the academic year consists of 2-3 semesters: usually from September to December (fall term) and from January to April (winter term). Students may also be allowed to start in May or January. Many institutions also offer courses during the summer holidays (usually from May to August).

Canadian colleges and universities use a system of academic credits that assigns a value to courses that count towards completion of the program.

A one-year course with 3 hours per week from September to April has a value of 3 credits. Correspondingly, a semi-annual course with 3 hours per week from September to December or January to April typically has a value of 1.5 credits.

Generally, the total number of credits required to be issued is as follows

  • Certificate or Diploma: 30 credits
  • Bachelor's Degree: 90-120 credits
  • Master's Degree: 45 credits
  • Doctoral degree: 90 credits

Many universities in Canada allow students to transfer academic credits from other post-secondary institutions.

Obtaining permanent residency in Canada after your studies

After finishing your studies you have to apply for a post-graduation work permit that allows you to work. The duration of the work visa corresponds to the number of years of study, in case of two-year and more study programs — a work visa is issued for the period of 3 years. And having the experience of 1 year of work in Canada, it is possible to have a permanent residency through the Canadian Experience Class program, or through the provincial nominee program for students who have graduated from the Canadian educational institution. Some provinces (e.g. Ontario) offer permanent residency immediately to graduates of Master's programs even without having a work contract.

The cost of attending a Canadian college

The cost of tuition at a Canadian university is usually about 15,000 CAD per year. Textbooks are expensive, around 1000 CAD. Accommodation in 1 room will cost ~400 CAD per month. If you rent an apartment, you would have to pay from 1000 CAD per month. Food costs 400-600 CAD per month. Monthly pass — 100 CAD (sometimes included in tuition fee).

Thus, the cost of obtaining a higher education in Canada is from 21,000 USD per year. The cost of college can be broken down.

Getting a refund on part of your education in Canada

The good news for those who plan to stay in Canada after their studies and start working: in the following years you will get back about 20% of your tuition fees as a tax credit.

Part-time work opportunities while studying in Canada

During studies, you can work up to 20 hours per week. During vacations, you can work up to 40 hours a week. In Canada, the minimum wage is about $10 per hour, tax deductible. So with savings and a part-time job, almost anyone can afford to study in this wonderful country.

An investment in a child's future

If your children are finishing high school, consider giving them a quality Canadian higher education.

Enrollment assistance

Some people choose a college based on their desires rather than their existing education and work experience, which is almost guaranteed to result in a visa denial. This leads to monetary loss, as the visa fee is not refundable, nor are the costs for the institution's review of admission documents.

This is why we recommend that you complete an initial risk assessment with an immigration consultant who will assess your chances of receiving an academic visa with the right to work. And only after that, at your request, he or she will be able to select a college or university, as well as to prepare documents for admission and registration of the Canadian visa.

Colleges and universities in Ontario

Colleges and universities in British Columbia

Colleges and universities in Alberta

Colleges and universities in Nova Scotia

Хотите иммигрировать в Канаду, но не знаете с чего начать?

👉Пройдите бесплатную оценку шансов с помощью искусственного интеллекта, который проанализирует все доступные способы и скажет стоит ли вам тратить время.

  • #study in Canada
  • #education in Canada
  • #study in Canadian college
  • #study in Canadian university
  • #study in Canada
  • #immigration to Canada
  • #emigration to Canada
  • #visa to Canada
  • #study visa
  • #Canadian visa