Assess chances

Work while studying in Canada

Work while studying in Canada

There are many work-study combination options in Canada, so almost everyone can afford to get a paid education in the country.

After enrolling in a Canadian college or university, you can offset some of your expenses, as a study visa allows you to earn extra money. You can work up to 20 hours a week during your studies and up to 40 hours a week during your winter and summer holidays or spring break. The minimum hourly wage in Canada ranges from CAN $13 to $16 depending on the province or territory.

Please note that in order to work in Canada, you will most likely need to obtain a Social Insurance Number (SIN).

Job options

There are several ways to work in Canada while studying:

  • on-campus work — on the territory of your university or college, or as an assistant in a library, hospital, or research center at your institution, while the employer can be either the institution or a private contractor working on campus;
  • off-campus work — in a private business or government agency;
  • co-op education — if you study a program that requires work to complete your studies, you will need to apply for a work permit to get a job;
  • internship — requires a work permit for on-the-job training.

Work after graduation

After graduating from a university or college, you can obtain a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP), which will allow you to work in Canada for 1 to 3 years. To obtain this permit, you must meet several requirements:

  • complete a minimum 8-month program at a designated educational institution in Canada;
  • obtain a degree, diploma, or certificate from the institution;
  • be in the status of a student in Canada during the entire period of study.

You can apply for the PGWP within 180 days of your graduation.

After graduation, you can apply for permanent residency under one of the immigration programs for graduates. These programs often require you to get a job offer in Canada in addition to your education.

  • #Immigration to Canada
  • #study in Canada
  • #education in Canada
  • #work while studying in Canada
  • #work after study in Canada
  • #PGWP
  • #post-graduation work permit